I’m not a sweats, ponytails and flats kinda girl but who said a sweater can’t be glam? I love a little shine and liquid metallics take center stage this season so when I spotted Gap’s navy metallic sweater I thought, “This can work.” It’s comfy but not sloppy. Far from it, in fact. It’s a great trans seasonal piece and, hello, it’s navy.
Here are my top tips for how to style blue on blue that has a high shine.
• Blue on blue doesn’t mean wearing the same shade from head to toe. This season it’s about playing with different shades.
• There’s no need to keep metallics minimal. Do add a chunky accessory or statement neckpiece.
• Navy, indigo and vibrant shades like peacock blue and cobalt are big in 2014.
• Don’t be scared of rich fabrics and texture. Faux fur, sequins, lamé, iridescent shimmer and foamy fabrics reign supreme this year so shrug on your faux fur or slip into something shimmery, and thumbs up if you are doing it in a sea of blue.
• Not that bold? Tone down your look with a cream, beige or camel handbag or heels and flawless natural make-up. Leave the bold red lips and bejewelled clutches for those who do OTT best.
• It’s in the detail. If you’re in a blue mood, go for a rich navy, inky blue or a deep, dark denim blue on your nails. Do try the matte navy French manicure – it’s amazing!
• Break the blue – I love the stretch side panels of this sweater. They make for great detail, shape the top and relax the otherwise bold metallic sheen.
What do you think about 2014’s blue obsession? Tell us by commenting below!
Photographs: Cindy Taylor